Frank Delaney’s Re: Joyce
- Ulysses. The World’s Classics, Oxford University Press, 1993. This is a reprint of the original 1922 text with notes by Jeri Johnson.
- Ulysses. Edited: Hans Walter Gabler. 1986 edition published by Bodley Head or Vintage.
- Recommended Annotations: Ulysses Annotated by Don Gifford with Robert J. Seidman published by University of California Press.1989
- Kiberd, Declan. Ulysses and Us: The Art of Everyday Living (London: Faber and Faber Ltd. 2009)
- Lang, Frederick K. Ulysses and the Irish God (New Jersey: Associated University Presses Inc. 1993)
- Laurence, Karen. The Odyssey of Styles in Ulysses (Princeton University Press, 1981
- McCourt, John. The Years of Bloom: James Joyce in Trieste 1904-1920 (Dublin: The Lilliput Press, 2000)
- Dubliners, the Lilliput Press edition with illustrations by Louis le Brocquy. 1992.
- James Joyce’s Dubliners. An Illustrated Edition with annotations. Edited by John Wyse Jackson and Bernard McGinley and published by Sinclair-Stevenson. 1995.
- Annotated Dubliners. Notes by Don Gifford and published by University of California Press. 1982.
Recommended for second level education:
- The York Notes on Dubliners. 1985.
- Twentieth Century Interpretations of Dubliners edited by Peter K. Garrett. 1968.
- Joyce’s Dubliners, Substance, Vision and Art by Warren Beck. 1969.
- James Joyce’s Dubliners Critical Essays edited by Clive Hart. 1969.
- Dubliners, A Pluralistic World by Craig Hansen Werner. 1988.
- Finnegans Wake by James Joyce, Faber and Faber
- Our Examination Round his Factification for Incamination of Work in Progress by Samuel Beckett, et al., Faber & Faber 1929
- A Wake Digest ed by Clive Hart & Fritz Senn, Sydney University Press 1968
- Understanding Finnegans Wake by Danis Rose and John O’Hanlon, Garland Press
- Annotations to Finnegans Wake by Roland McHugh, Johns Hopkins University Press
As Joyce is one of the world’s most written-about authors, compiling a comprehensive list of useful resources on Joyce and his works can be a difficult task. Instead, we have compiled a selected list of useful sources on Joyce that we update regularly.
Birmingham, Kevin. The Most Dangerous Book: The Battle for James Joyce’s Ulysses. Head of Zeus, 2014.
Boes, Tobias. “‘A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man’ and the ‘Individuating Rhythm’ of Modernity.” ELH, vol. 75, no. 4, 2008, pp. 767–785. JSTOR, www.jstor.org/stable/27654637
Castle, Gregory. “Coming of Age in the Age of Empire: Joyce’s Modernist ‘Bildungsroman.’” James Joyce Quarterly, vol. 40, no. 4, 2003, pp. 665–690. JSTOR, www.jstor.org/stable/25477988
Ellmann, Richard. James Joyce. Oxford University Press, 1984.
Fogarty, Anne, and Fran O’Rourke. Eds. Voices on Joyce. University College Dublin Press, 2015.
Gaipa, Mark, Latham, Sean, and Robert Scholes. Eds. The Little Review “Ulysses.” Yale University Press, 2015.
Kenner, Hugh. Joyce’s Voices. Dalkey Archive Press, 2007.
Kiberd, Declan. Ulysses and Us: The Art of Everyday Living. Faber and Faber, 2010.
Killeen, Terence. Ulysses Unbound: A Reader’s Companion to James Joyce’s Ulysses. Wordwell, 2004.
Nolan, Emer. James Joyce and Nationalism. Routledge, 1995.
O’Brien, Edna. James Joyce: A Life. Penguin, 2011.